OP-1 comes with 10 unique synthesizer engines, all instantly accessible withthe sound selection keys. the synthesis palette ranges from physically modeled string synthesis to frequency modulation. the DNA synthesis is modeled on a machines individually unique ID which makes every OP-1 sound slightly different from another. the synthesis section also includes a selection of exchangeable LFO’s, and effects.
sampling is instant with the two built-in samplers, one for instruments like piano and one dedicated for percussion sounds and drum kits that automatically splits a recorded sound and lays it out on the 24 keys. the OP-1 also comes pre-loaded with great kits and instruments, and if you you want to create your own sample library, just sample anything using the built-in microphone or line in. It’s never been easier, quicker or more creative to sample.
anything you play, sequence or tweak you are able to record on the built in 4-track tape feature. match the tape speed to the sequencer clock for nice overdubbing with pitch changes, all in sync. change tapespeed while recording, or even record backwards in realtime. adding the optional crank accessory turns the tape into a hand cranked tape recorder.
add effects and texture to your sounds with the 4 channel mixer, including EQ, 7 stereo effects and a compressor. individual levels and pan controls for all four tape tracks. finalize your mix in the master out panel. in mixer mode you also have the option to solo and mute tracks with the push of a button or to add punch-in tape tricks for live performance.
one of OP-1’s strongest features is its sequencers. instead of having one sequencer that handles everything, there’s six unique sequencers doing only one task each. there’s the tombola sequencer for random trig (enter notes in the tombola and every time a note hits the wall it is played. the harder a note hits the wall, the louder it plays). then there’s the sketch sequencer that lets you draw notes freely with the knobs.
OP-1 has three sound inputs; the built-in mic, a 3.5 mm line in and a built-in fm radio. besides sound, all these three inputs can be used as input values in the element modulator, letting you modulate any synth or effect parameter from the sound input. the fm radio is also a great source of inspiration when you are traveling abroad and want to sample local radio stations or music. finally, there’s a useful out-to-in function letting you do a mix-down when in tape mode.
pressing the com button turns OP-1 into a versatile midi controller with control change options, a two octave keyboard and four knobs. if selecting disk mode when in com mode, the OP-1 turns into a storage device, letting you drag and drop .aiff audio files to it or drag the complete tape with it’s 4 tracks as separated individual audio files from it to your computer where you can do final tweaks in your DAW software.
with cut / lift, drop and split, it’s easy to edit your recorded material. the feeling of turning a knob to scrub through the tape and press split is a unique experience unmatched by mouse and keyboard or touch devices. this physical input and feedback makes using the OP-1 more intuitive and natural than more complex systems, and helps you focus on more important things like making music and being creative.
OP-1 is the all-in-one portable synthesizer, sampler and controller. with additional features like a built-in FM radio and an assignable G-force sensor for motion controlled effects, there is quite nothing like it.
its modular architecture enables endless sound possibilities without making the workflow complicated or distracting.
the compact design and real physical interface makes it inspiring to create music, no matter who you are or how experienced you are.
with ten synthesizer engines, eight high quality effects and multiple routable LFO’s, you’ll never hit the wall when it comes to creativity or finding the right sound for the job. add the unique built-in sequencers on top of that and you’ll understand why so many highly regarded producers and artists hold this little machine so dear.
in controller mode, OP-1 turns in to a full blown MIDI controller, with access to transport (play/stop, rec, rewind and forward), a two octave keyboard with four endless encoders as well as a sound module that can be controlled from virtually any external software.
record anything you create with the 4-track tape feature. match the tape speed to the sequencer tempo for some really nice overdubbing. change tapespeed while recording, or record backwards in realtime. switch to the 4 channel mixer and add some punch with the built in EQ and compressor.
finally, create a live mix in album mode on a virtual vinyl.
use OP-1 to synchronize your pocket operators or connect it to any other gear using MIDI over USB. when you connect OP-1 to a computer using the included USB cable, the OP-1 shows up as a MIDI controller or a storage device. if storage device is selected, just drag and drop audio files between your computer and the OP-1. all 4 tape tracks are available as well as the drum and synthesizer samples. everything ready for you to tweak or add to your DAW. no additional software or drivers required. just plug and play.
upgradeable op os with multiple sound, effects and sequencer engines.
- dr wave – raw 8-bit
- fm – easy to tweak fm synthesis
- pulse – square wave type
- string – physical modeling
- digital – raw digital type
- phase – phase distortion
- cluster – multiple wave cluster
- dna – unique id synthesis
- dsynth – dual oscillator
- dbox – drum synthesis
- voltage – electric synthesis
- future additions of engines will be available with software upgrades
- dedicated instant synth sampler with 6 seconds sampling time for each slot.
- dedicated instant drum sampler with 12 seconds sampling time for each slot.
- automated layout feature in drum sampler.
- instant sampling using the built-in microphone or line in.
- classic adsr type envelope
- dynamic envelope for drum sounds.
- tempo synchronization.
- future additions of envelopes will be available with software upgrades
- delay – classic delay type
- phone – hacked phone effect
- punch – adds punch to your sound
- grid – grid based echo
- spring – spring reverb type
- cwo – rhythmic delay
- nitro – dynamic filter
- future additions of effects will be available with software upgrades
- 4 individual tracks with instant solo
- instant variable tape speed
- 6 minutes recording time in normal tape speed.
- up to 24 minutes recording time in low tape speed
- loop function with movable region
- tape tricks for break tape, bits and reverse.
- memo 1 & 2 for instant memorizing effects / eq / pan or levels / tape speed
- reverse recording
- classic tape editing features like lift, split and drop
- lift tape recordings back to sampler for creative sound shaping.
sensors and radio
- 3 axis motion sensor (g-force) assignable to any synth, envelope, effect parameter or to pitch.
- built-in fm radio – sample direct from any radio station or record straight to tape.
OP-1 is designed around sound modules that are easy to swap. every ‘building block’ is exchangable which means that you may switch engine but keep envelope, effect and modulator type. over 1 thousand different combinations of engines, effects and modulation are possible.
- 400 MHz processor core (800 MMACSS performance)
- 64 MB low-power SDRAM (12ns)
- 512 MB Nand Flash storage
- 24-bit 96kHz ADC/DAC
- Li-Ion 1800 mAh
- 16 hours active battery life
- 2 years stand-by time
- charge via USB port
- USB 2.0 high speed (OTG)
- 3.5 mm Line Input, Output
- built-in microphone
- high output mini speaker 8 ohm 1 watt
- 3-axis accelerometer (g-force) sensor
- worldwide fm band support (64-108 MHz)
- amoled display running @ 60 fps
- 320 x 160 pixel resolution
- color depth: 16.7 M
- contrast: 10000:1 (good for outdoor use.)
- viewing angle: 170°
- display life time: 30,000 hrs
- low profile keyboard module
- scissor-switch ultra low profile design
- expected lifespan of 10 million keystrokes per key
- industrial grade incremental encoders. rotational life: up to 1,000,000 revolutions. excellent indexing feel (remains consistent over life) zinc diecast and fiber enforced high performance plastic. used in avionics. operating temperature range: -40 to +85°C
- advanced cnc’d one-piece aluminum design.
- 2 X M6 mounting holes for accessories.
- 2 X cuts for strap accessory.
- light grey powder coated body and edm textured keyboard
the durable light grey painted aluminium body gives a solid feel and also works as a protection for the internal components. OP-1 has no visible screws.
L 282 mm, H 102 mm, D 13.5 mm
OP-1 comes shipped in a reusable environmentally friendly package made from paperfoam material.